Pedro N. Teixeira
School of Economics
University of Porto
Rua Dr. Roberto Frias
4200 Porto, Portugal
Pedro Teixeira’s research interests focus on the economics of higher education and the history of economic ideas. Much of his work has been as a researcher with CIPES – Centre for Research in Higher Education Policies and as an expert consultant to various organizations and stakeholders, both nationally and abroad. Current areas of activity include:
- Changing funding systems and rationales in Higher Education;
- The effects of Marketization, Privatization and Competition in Higher Education;
- The development and influence of Human Capital research;
- The transition of graduates to the labour market;
- Economics and Religion.
- PhD in Economics; School of Business and Economics, University of Exeter (UK); June 2003;
- Master of Arts in Higher Education (Economics of Education); Center for Higher Education Policy Studies (CHEPS) – Graduate School of the University of Twente (Netherlands); November 1998;
- BA, Economics; Department of Economics, University of Porto; July 1995.
- CIPES – Centre of Research on Higher Education Policies (Porto, Portugal) – Director (since January 2009) and Coordinator of the Research Group – Resources, Performance, and Human Capital, (since 2008);
- Vice-Rector – Academic Affairs – University of Porto – 2014/2018;
- University of Aveiro – Department of Social, Political and Territorial Sciences - Visiting Professor of Higher Education Economics, European Master Mundus in Higher Education Policy (in cooperation with the universities of Oslo and Tampere), since 2005;
- State University of New York – Albany, Department of Educational Administration and Policy Studies – Visiting Professor – May/June 2006;
- OxCHEPS, New College, Oxford University – Visiting Researcher, October 2011 – February 2013;
- Fulbright New Century Scholar – Higher Education in the XXIst Century, September 2005 – November 2006;
- Center for Studies of Higher Education, UC – Berkeley – Visiting Researcher, April/July 2005;
- IZA – Network of Labour Economists – Visiting Researcher, since December 2003;
- PROPHE – Program of Research on Private Higher Education – Associate Researcher, since July 2003.
Academic Publications (selection)
- Pedro Teixeira and Jung Sheol Chin (forthcoming) (Editors in Chief). The international encyclopaedia of higher education. 4 Vols. Dordrecht: Springer, 2015 (forthcoming).
- Pedro Teixeira (ed.) (2015). The changing public-private mix in higher education – Patterns, rationales and challenges (forthcoming).
- Pedro Teixeira (ed.) (2014). The many facets of internationalization at the University of Porto – A centenary appraisal. Porto: University of Porto Press (forthcoming).
- Pedro Teixeira (ed.) (2014). Human capital, critical concepts in economics. 4 vols. Routledge (forthcoming).
- Pedro Teixeira and Christine Musselin (Eds.) (2013). Policy design and implementation in higher education. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Pedro Teixeira and Guy Neave (eds.) (2012). Alberto Amaral, A scientist between the academia and the Agora – Selected writings on higher education. Porto: University of Porto Press (forthcoming).
- Pedro Teixeira and David Dill (ed.) (2011). Public vices, private virtues? Reflecting about the effects of marketization in higher education. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers.
- Pedro Teixeira (2007). Jacob Mincer – The human capital labour economist. Oxford University Press and IZA – Awarded the Prize of Best Book by ESHET – European Society for the History of Economic Thought (2009); Chosen as one of the 10 Notable Books in 2007 by the Industrial Relations Section, Princeton University.
- Pedro Teixeira, Bruce Johnstone, Hans Vossensteyn and Maria João Rosa (eds.) (2006). Cost-sharing and accessibility in higher education – A fairer deal? Dordrecht: Springer.
- Pedro Teixeira, Alberto Amaral, David Dill and Ben Jongbloed (eds.) (2004). Markets in higher education. Amsterdam: Kluwer; translated in Chinese (2007).
Journal Articles (most recent)
- Pedro Teixeira, Artur Santoalha and Ricardo Biscaia (2017). Higher education and its contribution to a diverse regional supply of human capital: Does the binary/unitary divide matters? Higher Education, March, 1-22.
- Pedro Teixeira (2017). Economic beliefs and institutional politics: Human capital theory and the changing views of the World Bank about education (1950–1985). The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, 465-492.
- Pedro Teixeira, Sónia Cardoso, Maria João Rosa and António Magalhães (2016). Graduates’ perceptions about labour market competencies: Does the type of institution and programme make a difference? Higher Education Policy, 29, 109-129.
- Tatiana Koryakyna, Cláudia Sarrico and Pedro Teixeira (2016). Third mission activities: University managers’ perceptions on existing barriers. European Journal of Higher Education, 5, 316-330.
- Pedro Teixeira and Tatyana Koryakina (2016). Political instability, austerity and wishful thinking: Analysing stakeholders’ perceptions about higher education’s funding reforms in Portugal. European Journal of Education, 51, 126-139.
- Hugo Figueiredo, Vera Rocha, Ricardo Biscaia and Pedro Teixeira (2015). Should we start worrying? Mass higher education, skill demand and the increasingly complex landscape of young graduates’ employment. Studies in Higher Education, 38, 1401-1420.
- Hugo Figueiredo, Vera Rocha, Ricardo Biscaia and Pedro Teixeira (2015). Gender pay gaps and the restructuring of graduate labour markets in Southern Europe. Camb. J. Econ., 39(2), 565-598.
- Pedro Teixeira and Pedro Videira (2015). Higher education in lusophone countries: One language, many stages of development in higher education. Leadership and Governance in Higher Education, 1.
- Pedro Nuno Teixeira, Vera Rocha and Ricardo Biscaia (2014). Competition and performance in European higher education – The role of funding instruments. Paginas de La Educación, 7, 217-233.
- Pedro N. Teixeira (2014). Gary Stanley Becker (1930-2014) – Economics as a study of human behaviour. History of Economic Ideas, XXII, 9-22.
- Pedro N. Teixeira (2014). Market integration in European higher education: Reflecting about drivers and barriers. Journal of the European Higher Education Area, 4, 1-14.
- Pedro Teixeira, Vera Rocha, Ricardo Biscaia and Margarida Fonseca Cardoso (2014). Does reputation begets money? Factors explaining revenue diversification in higher education, Public Administration Review, 74, 389-412.
- Pedro Teixeira (2014) Gary Becker’s early work on human capital – Collaborations and distinctiveness. IZA Journal of Labor Economics, 3, 12.
- Pedro Teixeira, Vera Rocha, Ricardo Biscaia and Margarida Fonseca Cardoso (2014). Policy changes, marketization trends and spatial dispersion in European higher education: Comparing public and private sectors. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, 7, 271-288.
- Maria João Rosa and Pedro Teixeira (2014). Policy reforms, Trojan horses, and imaginary friends: The role of external stakeholders in internal quality assurance systems. Higher Education Policy, 2, 219-237.
Recent Research Projects
- Glonatins – Global Challenges, National Initiatives, and Institutional Responses – Mapping the Transformation of Portuguese Higher education Institutions at the dawn of the twentieth-first century – FCT – Portuguese National Science Foundation – Excellence Projects – April 2013 – December 2015 - Principal Investigator;
- ETER – European Tertiary Education and Research – September 2013-March 2015; Principal Investigator of the Portuguese Research Team;
- An Analysis of the Performance of the Portuguese Educational System, Project Funded by the Ministry of Economic Affairs – January 2013-June 2014 – Co-coordinator of the Research Team;
- Review of “A Future for Oporto” – Educational Strategy of the Municipality of Porto; June 2012-July 2013 – Principal Investigator;
- DEFINE – Designing Strategies for Efficient Funding of Higher Education in Europe – European project funded by LLL program of the 7th Framework Program, October 2012-November 2015 – member of the Coordinating research Team and PI of the Portuguese Team;
- Education for whom and for what? An economic analysis of the returns to education in Portugal, project funded by the Portuguese National Science Foundation, 2012-2015, member of the Research Team;
- IBAR – An analysis of the implementation and challenges of the European standards and Guidelines, European project funded by LLL program of the 7th Framework Program, 2011-2013 – member of the National Research Team;
- Efficiency of the Portuguese Higher Education System, Project Funded by the Portuguese National Agency for Quality and Accreditation in Higher Education, 2010-2012 – Co-coordinator of the Research Team;
- EUMIDA – A European Database on Higher Education (EUROSTAT); July 2009-December 2010 – Consortium of 29 countries – Principal Investigator of the Portuguese Research Team.
Public Service and Extension
- Consultant of the Civil House of the Presidency of the Republic for Higher Education and Science (since April 2016);
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Bial Foundation (since April 2015);
- Member of the Working Group on Access to Higher Education (2016);
- Member of CNE – National Council of Education (since February 2014);
- Coordinator of the Review of Reviews – Quality and Qualifications Ireland (2013-2014);
- Reviewer for ENQA – European Association of Quality Agencies (since May 2013);
- Empowering European Universities – Affiliated member (since June 2011);
- Member of the Scientific Board – Funding Forum, European University Association (2011-2012);
- Appointed Expert to the Review of Higher Education Expenditure on behalf of the Portuguese Ministry of Higher Education and Science, ECOFIN, European Union (2009-2010);
- Member of the Trends 2010 Editorial Committee, European University Association (2009-2010);
- Member of the Evaluating Panel of the Institutional Evaluation Programme/EUA – European University Association (since 2006);
- Member of the Education Advisory Board – Foundation Francisco Manuel dos Santos, Lisbon (since 2013);
- Reviewer for the Portuguese Agency for Accreditation and Assessment in Higher Education (since 2012);
- National Advisor – External Committee on The Portuguese Higher Education System; Portuguese Council of Rectors (2012-2013);
- Member of the Working Party appointed to reform the System of Schools Evaluation, Inspectorate of Education, Ministry of Education, Portugal (2011);
- Member of the Panel of Experts, Program of School Evaluations, Ministry of Education, Portugal.
Other relevant activities
- Member of the Board of Governors of CHER – Consortium of Higher Education Researchers (since 2007); Secretary-General (since 2013);
- Member of the Council of ESHET – European Society of History of Economic Thought (2008-2014); Vice-Chair (2012-2014);
- Member of the Scientific Committee of RESUP – French Network of Higher Education Researchers (since 2007);
- Member of the Scientific Committee of EUREDOCS – European Network of Higher Education Doctoral Students (since 2009);
- Member of Committee for Scientific Awards, European Society of the History of Economic Thought; Chair of the Committee for the Best Article (2013 and 2014);
- Member of the Committee for Scientific Awards, History of Economics Society (2002 and 2006);
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal Higher Education (since 2009);
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal Oeconomia – Economic Thought and Methodology (since 2010).
- Member of the Editorial Board of EHEA – the Journal of the European Higher Education Area (since 2011).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the European Journal of Higher Education (since 2013).